There is a lot of information out there about how to choose the perfect diamond ring but little less about how to take care of them. Diamonds can be the hardest natural substance on Earth but they need special care to maintain its brilliance. If you wear your ring every day, it will get dirty. Hand lotions, hair sprays or makeup will create a thin layer on your diamond ring making it look dull. Why? It is simple, a diamond’s sparkle originates from the light entering the diamond, travelling to the bottom and reflecting back to the eye. If it is dirty, light will be restricted. So, here’s a list of what you can do to clean your diamond jewellery at home and keep it shiny.
1. It is important that before you start cleaning them, you look closely at your ring and check the state of it. Are the claws firm? Are the diamonds moving in their settings? If so, we recommend you take the ring to a jeweller who will be able to clean it without causing any damage. They will know how to clean it properly and they will also be capable of fixing any issues that may arise.
2. Rings get dirty for various reasons, being the use of cosmetics the most common one. Lotion, makeup or even perfume can make your diamond look dull. To bring that stone back to life, fill a recipient with warm to hot water and add washing up liquid. Let it soak for 20 to 40 minutes and brush the stones with the help of a soft-bristled toothbrush. The best one would be one that doesn’t have any rubber bristles. Usually, kids toothbrushes are softer which makes them perfect to clean diamonds. Keep this toothbrush separately and use it only to clean your jewellery. This way, it will stay softer and clean.
3. When you brush it, make sure you brush the lower part of the diamond. A lot of dirt can build up at the base where the diamond is mount.
4. Then rinse your diamond ring under warm running water (don’t forget to put the plugin to avoid your ring from dropping down the sink). If needed, repeat until you are happy with the appearance.
5. To dry off your rings, you can use a cotton or linen cloth. These materials will not scratch the metal as paper towels would. You could also let it air dry.
6. If you have a polishing cloth, you can rub your ring over it to make the metal shine. Don’t forget to store your cloth in a re-sealable bag to avoid getting dust on it.
7. If your ring is particularly dirty, you can fill a small glass with floor cleaner and leave it overnight. This will loosen any tough dirt and will help you make the cleaning process easier without causing any damage to the ring.
8. There are many alternative ways to do this, one of them is vodka. Yes, you read that correctly. This distilled beverage can dissolve the dirt attached to the diamond thanks to the ethanol content. How to do it? Just fill a shot glass with vodka and let your ring soak for several hours. Remove it and let it air dry.
This process can be repeated once a week to help you keep those oils and products from building up. However, it is recommended that you take twice a year your ring to get professionally cleaned by a jeweller. A professional has all the necessary equipment and the skills needed to leave your precious item like new. They will also be able to check if your ring is broken or has any damage that needs urgent repair.
It is also good to clean your ring before you store it. This will avoid any dirt or debris of getting encrusted into the setting, which will make it harder to remove it later. You should store your diamond ring in a microfiber or felt bag. Store it inside your jewellery box until you wear it again.
What not to do
Several procedures available on the internet are too abrasive that they will end up damaging your ring. To prevent this, avoid the following:
There are many common cleaning products that people may think are good to clean a diamond but they can be quite damaging. Chlorine bleach, abrasives (like toothpaste or baking soda) or acetone should never be used on any jewellery. Bleach can damage some of the metals that are used to allow gold and abrasives can scratch both the metal and the diamond.
Although this device is ideal for when you have encrusted dirt on the diamond it can be dangerous. Ultrasonic cleaners work with vibrations: they use cavitation bubbles induced by low-frequency sound waves to agitate a liquid. This will thoroughly remove any dirt but this can also shake any loose stones your ring may have and make them fall off your ring.
Your diamond jewellery, especially your engagement ring, holds a lot of sentimental value so it is important to take good care of it. Follow these steps and you will have a cleaned and sparkling ring forever.